I Got A Dead Penguin For Christmas


    My long-time friends of nearly 30 years or more, meet almost monthly for dinner. Last week, we had our belated Christmas get-together (Thank you, COVID-19, for a third year in a row) at Olive Garden in Chesterfield, Missouri. Once I *finally* arrived, we exchanged our gifts. Charissa, so thoughtfully, gave us each a bracelet with a small animal charm - a penguin for me, an elephant for Nichelle and a shark for Nisa.  These were to remind us to check on our geotracked animals through an app! So exciting! 

So after dinner, I wanted to check on my penguin, Neo. The card says in summary, "... Neo is a young male who nests under medium sized bushes that have thorns and leaves. His bush provides him cover from the sun and aerial predators such as seagulls." When I use the QR code I can see how many miles Neo has swum, I can see how he darts back and forth in the ocean when he swims, I can see where he walks on the beach and gets back into the water. I can see everywhere Neo swims in the bay. I can see where he was last swimming in the water....

A message appears on my screen and I read out loud because all three of them are listening to me talk and brag about MY Neo, MY penguin, "The tracking device for this animal has not received updates since 1/12/23." I think for a second, it's 1/19/23.

It's been seven days.

I look at Nisa who has placed a few fingers in front of her mouth tilting her head, opening her eyes wide, to *help* me figure this out... I blurt out, "You mean Neo is dead!......Neo was eaten by a shark!?  My Christmas present is dead?! I got a dead penguin for Christmas?!

Charissa's head goes down, "I didn't think about that the animal might die before they received them as gifts..."

Nichelle, "Only you, Tracey, would this happen to!"

I am gasping for air. "My penguin is gone!  My poor Neo! Do I bury the post card? Every time I look at the bracelet, RIP Neo, I will think of you. What do I do now?"

Another message comes across the screen, "Would you like to follow Waterfront, another penguin?"

"Waterfront?! I just got introduced to Neo, and I have his picture, I am holding his postcard, and I see his nest, and I know where he likes to swim. I just got attached to him! Now he is already dead and I am in mourning. How can you expect me to just switch so fast? Neo is not replaceable!"

At this point, we are hysterically laughing. I am congested and I cannot breathe. "I am suffocating. I am going to die. I am coming, Neo!"

****

Waterfront - is a male penguin and is not like most penguins. He left his colony and started his own Waterfront neighborhood. Penguins usually do not venture out on their own. He separated his new area about 600 meters from the main colony. His new place is on a nice slope where penguins can nest  facing the ocean and walk to the ocean quickly for food. He found a great place to raise families.

Waterfront was released on December 15th, 2022 and as of today 1/25/23 he has swum 95 miles and he is still swimming.....



_______

No animals were hurt during this event. We actually do not know if Neo was eaten by a shark. The tracking device could have come off while he was swimming, or another penquin could have "removed" it. No one really knows. I have been told if Neo was eaten by shark the device may have darted out into the Atlantic and the tracker would have shown that. Who knows. But, I love you, Neo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternatives to Holiday Parties in Schools

PBL vs. PBL: Project Based Learning vs. Problem Based Learning, What's the Diff?

Welcome!